-Side-by-side fridges are an essential appliance in a home because they provide many benefits for food storage, preservation and convenience.
A side-by-side fridge is a type of refrigerator that has two vertical doors that open from the centre. One side is the freezer compartment, while the other is the fresh food compartment.
Side-by-side fridges are popular for their large capacity, convenient features and sleek design.
Side-by-side fridges work by using a compressor, a condenser, an evaporator and a refrigerant to transfer heat from the inside of the fridge to the outside.
The compressor compresses the refrigerant gas and sends it to the condenser, where it cools down and becomes a liquid. The liquid refrigerant then flows to the evaporator, where it absorbs heat from the air inside the fridge and becomes a gas again. The gas refrigerant then returns to the compressor, completing the cycle.
The fridge has a thermostat that controls the temperature of the fridge and freezer compartments by regulating the compressor's activity.
Some side-by-side fridges also have features such as water and ice dispensers, air filters, humidity controls and smart sensors that enhance their performance and convenience.
Some of the benefits of side-by-side fridges are:
· More freezer space and visibility: With capacity spread more evenly between both top-to-bottom compartments, you can store more in the freezer and spot all of your most-used ingredients at eye level.
· Easier freezer organization as more shelving in the freezer means more ways to store and organize frozen goods.
· Since the doors are narrower than single-door fridges, you can open them without hitting nearby walls or cabinets; hence needing less clearance.
· Convenient access to fresh and frozen foods as you can easily reach both compartments without bending or stretching.
· Side-by-side fridges have a sleek and stylish appearance that can complement any kitchen decor.
· Side-by-side fridges usually also offer advanced features such as water and ice dispensers, digital displays, touch controls and smart connectivity.
Some of the disadvantages of side-by-side fridges include:
· Narrow shelves and bins: The vertical design of side-by-side fridges limits the width of the shelves and bins, making it harder to store large or bulky items such as pizza boxes, platters or cake pans.
· Higher energy consumption: Side-by-side fridges tend to use more electricity than other types of fridges, especially if they have water and ice dispensers that require a constant water supply.
· Higher price: Side-by-side fridges are usually more expensive than other types of fridges, due to their larger size and more features.
· More maintenance: Side-by-side fridges may require more cleaning and servicing than other types of fridges, especially if they have water and ice dispensers that can clog or leak.
Side-by-side fridges are modern appliances that can help families in several ways.
There are different styles of side-by-side fridges that vary in size, design and features.
Some of them are:
· Standard side-by-side fridges are the most common type and have equal or similar sizes for both compartments. They usually measure between 30 to 36 inches (76.2 to 91.44 centimetres) wide and have capacities ranging from 20 to 30 cubic feet (566.34 to 849.51 litres).
· Counter-depth side-by-side fridges: These are side-by-side fridges that have a shallower depth than standard fridges, making them fit flush with the kitchen cabinets.
· Built-in side-by-side fridges: These are side-by-side fridges that are custom-made to fit into a specific space in the kitchen. They usually have a seamless and integrated look that matches the kitchen decor. They can vary in size and capacity depending on the customer's preference.
To clean a side-by-side fridge, you can follow these steps:
When you plan to buy a new side-by-side fridge, you should consider these factors:
At MHC World you will find several reputable brands of side-by-side fridges, including MLG, Samsung, Defy, Hisense, Whirlpool, Bosch, Smeg, and more.